Hi, we all know how tedious and slow is the process of booking a ticket in IRCTC during peak times. Everyone of us would have cursed them at least once, when the transactions failed at the bank payment step., or rather the Tatkal fails to come to our rescue in urgent times. We of course missed to realize what a great web site it is and the convenience it brought to our door steps. We never cared for what it delivered to the community in spite of the running bureaucracy and red-tapism in all its veins. We didn’t even know of the large-scale DOS attacks and other digital security threats they silently suffer with, just because it can disrupt something very national in nature.
Any way, I am explaining one PROBLEM and its SOLUTION. Pasting here, a part of the mail I sent to them:
1. Many a time, the vacant berths i see are gone by the time i come back after bank payment.
2. And also, booking multiple tickets asks for the payment each time and I have to go through the same 4-5 screens (average) of bank payment every time.
Lets change the ticketing Model a little bit, where the customer pays the amount first and then books tickets later worth that amount. It works like this:
1. Say, I am going to book two tickets worth approximately 1000/- and 800/- each.
2. I first login to IRCTC and pay rs.2000/- in advance, which will be tracked in my user account.
3. I will then go and book the tickets without the hassle of going through the delay/inconvenience of a bank payment.
4. If the balance amount is unused for 48-hours, then it will be returned to the user’s bank account.
Advantages of this Model:
- I completely avoid the delay in bank payment, pending the vacant births at that point of time. Technically speaking, this actually avoids couple of problems in real time booking. I can explain this further.
- I completely avoid the 4-5 screens of bank payment which are really inconvenient in cases of multiple ticket booking.
- I avoid multiple ‘service charges’ on multiple bank transactions.
- In every transaction, IRCTC is actually keeping a part of the amount in excess (for a few days), so the overall turnover of the site increases just like that.
Variations of the Model:
1. We can actually change this model a little so that the user always keeps an imprest cash of say rs.1000/- with the IRCTC, so that he is saved of the bother of bank payments every time he books a ticket. May be we can do a little survey here.
pl consider the above suggestion and change the ticketing model. Also, I don’t find a better method to communicate this to you. Pl let me know if there are other channels.
So, why am I telling all this to you:
I need your help. The web site is not having a proper way to drop this suggestion. 250 characters is too limited but I tried my best though. What I want from you is that:
Click the ‘thumbs up’ on top of this post, if you like this suggestion. And please spread this message so that it reaches most people ONLINE. At last, we are the ones who are using it most. I want all this because I quoted this link as a reference. And I hope they will come and see the ‘Thumbs Up’ count 🙂 for an initial survey results 🙂